This page has moved to a new address.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake and a meeting

the urban baker: Sour Cream Coffee Cake and a meeting

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sour Cream Coffee Cake and a meeting


I couldn't go to my meeting yesterday, empty handed. I was meeting with all woman and I knew they were going to curse me as I walked in the door with this coffee cake, but I really wasn't too concerned about that.

I have been reading some of my really old cook books for inspiration. One in particular is The Cake Bible by my favorite gal, Rose Levy Beranbaum. I really wanted to make her Chocolate pound cake, but opted for the sour cream coffee cake as it called for egg yolks, and yes, you guessed it, I had some in the fridge. This cake was easy enough to whip up after dinner the other night. As it cooled in the kitchen, my kids were staring at it, waiting to take a slice. You could imagine their disappointment when I told them it was for a meeting and they would have to wait until the next day for the "crumbs".

I didn't eat any as I was finishing up my cleanse and on to the detox portion of the journey. However, I did receive rave reviews (via email) that it was delicious. Miguel especially liked it. I have come to the conclusion that M really likes cake. He always compliments a cake or a coffee cake or a marble pound cake (his favorite) and rarely comments on a cookie. I have to keep that in mind!

Recipe:

ingredients:

streusel topping & filling
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbls. sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup unsifted cake flour
4 Tbls. butter softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla

batter
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
12 Tbls. butter

Streusel topping:
Pulse sugars, nuts, cinnamon in food processor until nuts are coarsely chopped. Reserve 3/4 cup to use for filling. Add flour, butter, & vanilla to remainder of batter and pulse briefly to form a coarse, crumbly mixture.

Batter

Line a 9" greased, spring form pan with parchment and then grease again and flour surface. Preheat oven to 350*

In a medium bowl, combine yolks, 1/4 of the sour cream & vanilla

In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low for 30 minutes. Add butter and remainder of sour cream. Mix until dry ingredients are moist. Increase to medium speed and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides. Add egg mixture in 3 batches.

Reserve about 1/3 of batter and scrape remainder into prepared pan. Sprinkle with streusel filling. Drop reserved batter an spread evenly with spatula. Sprinkle with remaining streusel.

Bake 55-60 minutes until a wooden cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home