This page has moved to a new address.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

the urban baker: Chocolate Bread Pudding

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Chocolate Bread Pudding


I had two 1/2 challah's in my freezer and I needed the space. I had froze them hoping that I had a reason to make bread pudding using the remnants of past Shabbat dinners. I got the urge and tonight was that night.

I love bread pudding but it is so rich. I feel my thighs expanding with each bite that enters my mouth. That's why I had only one bite with a little dab of french vanilla ice cream. Really, really good with the ice cream. Wouldn't really recommend it without it.

Bread pudding is a really easy, quick dessert option. I took the challah's out of the freezer and cut them in one inch cubes. Toasted them in the oven for 10 minutes and then started making the custard. This recipe is so gooooood. You can't eat too much of this without falling into a deep, dark, sugar coma. Hell, it's worth it.

I made this recipe in a 13 x 9" pan. After it cooled to room temperature I cut them in to 3" circles. This way everyone felt as though they had individual servings. I took the scraps from the pan and I am freezing them. Anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas on what to do with the scraps, I am open!

Need to go to bed so I can wake up in the morning and have chocolate bread pudding french toast. Might even make a little chocolate ganache to drizzle over it.

Night Night!


ingredients:
12 oz bread (brioche or challah)
1/2 cup raisins or dried cherries (I omitted cuz of the kids)
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

directions:
1. have a 9 x 13" baking pan ready and a large roasting pan. Line roasting pan with paper towels.
Pre-heat oven to 350*.

2. Cut bread into one inch pieces. If not "stale" toast in oven on a baking tray for about 10 minutes.

3. If using the fruit, toss bread crumbs with it.

4. Bring milk and cream just to a boil.

5. Boil some water. when boils, set a side. Whisk eggs, yolks & sugar together in a bowl. While whisking, slowly add a little of the hot milk to the eggs. Do this slowly to avoid scrambling the eggs. Once the egg mixture is tempered slowly pour the remainder of the milk. Add the chocolate and whisk until it melts and the custard is smooth.

6. Pour the custard over the bread and press the bread gently with the back of a spoon. Let sit for 3o minutes.

7. Put bread pudding pan inside roasting pan and put in the oven. Once level, pour the hot water around the outer edge of the bread pudding, filling the roasting pan up about 1/2" - 1". Bake for 35-45 minutes. The top should be dull and dry. Cool on a wire rack. Remove roasting pan.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home