This page has moved to a new address.

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes

the urban baker: Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes

I had pulled this recipe from Gourmet Magazine a while ago and have been looking for a reason to make them. The recipe says it makes 12 cupcakes. I opted to make minis as I need way more than 12. I followed the recipe, however the batter was more like a tough cookie dough batter rather than a cake batter. I threw the first batch of batter out. It just didn't look right. I made the second batch of batter and let it beat a little bit longer in the mixer. This worked and looked better but it was still a little stiff. I proceed, regardless.

The kids have somewhere to go this afternoon and I felt as though I needed to bring a little treat for everyone. I am not quite sure if the kids are going to like the zucchini taste(they got rave reviews), but I had one in the veg drawer that had I waited a few more days, it would end up in my garbage can. Felt better about using it rather than wasting it. Although I am guilty of it, I hate throwing away groceries. It really annoys me and I only have myself to blame for the waste. I am really trying to play "use it up" and thus far have been quite successful.

I may have baked these a bit too long. Next time, I would bake the minis for 16 minutes rather than 18.

Enjoy!

ingredients:


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 pound zucchini, coarsely grated (1 cup)
1 (6-ounces) package semisweet chocolate chips



directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.

Whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat together sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just incorporated. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. Divide among lined muffin cups and bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.


our anniversary is today, these are for us!


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

so cute! where do you get the dragees?

October 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Susan
Its me Anna,

where di you get the silver dragees?

October 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger The Urban Baker said...

Hi Anna,
I can't respond to you because I don't have your email address. I called the store, but sadly they said you are no longer working there. Email me!

November 3, 2009 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Anna B. said...

hi susan
email me to abena9@hotmail.com or at sweetfairybaskets@hotmail.com
it was relly nice to see you today. talk to you soon,

November 12, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home