Comfort Food - Mac 'n Cheese
four cheese mac + cheese
original recipe from Saveur (here)
8 oz. elbow macaroni
3 slices of crust less stale bread
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. paprika
2 shallots, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cups milk
7 oz grated Gruyere
10 oz. English cheddar, grated
6 oz. Velveeta, cubed ( I know, I had the same reaction)
1 oz. goat cheese
kosher salt and pepper
• pre heat oven to 375*
• bring a 4-quart sauce pan of water to a boil. add a big pinch of kosher salt. add noodles and cook until cooked halfway - about 3 minutes. drain and set aside.
• tear bread, and process in food processor. process until ground. set a small sauce pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of butter. add bread crumbs and stir until combined. set aside.
• in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add the paprika, shallots, bay leaf; cook until shallots are soft. add flour and cayenne and stir until thick. whisk in milk and cook until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. remove pan from the heat.
• stir in the cheddar, 5 oz of Gruyere, Velveeta and the goat cheese, stir until smooth. stir in the pasta and season with salt and pepper. transfer mixture to a buttered oval baking dish. sprinkle the top with the remaining Gruyere and then top with the bread crumbs.
• place baking pan on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
• let rest for 10 minutes before serving.