This page has moved to a new address.

Cake Pops

the urban baker: Cake Pops

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cake Pops

I swore I would never make these.  Although I think they are super cute, especially if you see the way Bakerella does it.  I went back on my promise to myself and did in fact make them.  I have shared with you my week last week...end of year stuff, party after party, baked until I could bake no more.  I thought I was done and then I realized I needed something for a bunch of 4 year olds; Levi's party, the "Ducky" class.  They had requested cupcakes.  At this point I was really, really tired, totally burnt out and in my mind, done.  At some odd moment in time I got a burst of energy and decided to do something a little different...thus - Cake Pops.

Before I started I did a little research.  I read several posts on Bakerella, searched Tastespotting to see how other blogger/bakers (found a good how to on These Peas are Hallow ) had done it and lastly, checked out Angie Dudley's how to video on Martha Stewart.  Watching the video helped.  Regardless, I over mixed my batter resulting in a very wet batter.  These were for 4 year olds, after all.  They were not going to notice.  After shaping the dough into balls, I stuck them in the freezer, overnight.  All worked out in the end.  Everyone loved them and kept telling me "how delicious" they were!  I thought they tasted like cake batter on a stick.  But then again, I am not FOUR!

I am not going to post the directions only because, her website tells you exactly how to do it.  I changed one thing, which in hindsight I wouldn't do again; I made my own butter cream frosting to mix in.  Follow hers directly.  The idea of using a box mix made me a little uneasy.  I had to keep reminding myself who I was baking these for!

Get all info here:

P.S. I made a batch for Eli's 6th grade picnic.  They all went crazy over them as well and also said they were "delicious".  Heck, what do I know??


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Tracy said...

Susan, Susan, Susan... you continue to impress me with your patience, generosity, intelligence, and beautiful photography! I love your blog and all that you do. Keep it up! :)

June 23, 2010 at 5:43 AM  
Blogger The Urban Baker said...

Tracy....thank you, thank you, thank you! I enjoy it all and love giving!

June 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

I was wondering if you'd make these for my birthday... Just so you know, it's in November - I'll be 32 and would love these, sweetie!
xx

June 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger The Urban Baker said...

Not only will I make these for you...but I will personally deliver them! xx

June 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger oneordinaryday said...

Your cake pops are adorable, and I agree with all of your taste testers that they really do taste great.

Thanks for commenting on my blog!
~Michelle

June 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger showfoodchef said...

Oh my gosh, same here. I swore I'd never make them and then last week I was given this box mix and a deadline and found myself whipping them up. They graced a catered table with all these things I had slaved over --- and of course, the kids and a lot of the guys went nuts for these sweeter than sweet cake ball things. Sometimes, the crowd just wants a ball of cake batter in hardened sugar, right? Great post!

June 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Made the cake pops in red and blue for the 4th...they were a huge hit! Thanks!

July 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home