The other day we woke up early, plied in my friends car
mini-van and drove out to Underwood Farms
. Our original plan had been to go cherry picking. Yet, the original farm that we wanted to cherry pick at, kept delaying their opening day. We were getting impatient and decided to go to one of our old favorites. This is one of those places that I am sure when my kids grow up they will look back and have fond memories.
It was a great day! We picked blackberries, string beans, spinach, kale, squash, sunflowers, chard, lettuce and so much more. After picking our goods, we visited and fed some of our favorite furry friends, weighed our veggies and left before it got too hot. We stopped at In n Out
on the way home. How ironic is that?
I had tons of blackberries. Made a cobbler!
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (not thawed)
2 cups blackberries
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
• heat oven to 400*.
• grease an 8x8" baking dish.
• whisk sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a small saucepan, over medium heat. add berries and cook until thickened, about 7-10 minutes. remove from heat, stir in lemon juice + lemon zest. pour into baking dish and set aside
• whisk 1 tablespoon of sugar, flour, baking powder, + salt. cut butter into dry ingredients, forming small size peas in the flour mixture. stir in milk to form a dough.
• place large tablespoonfuls on top of fruit mixture. sprinkle with sanding sugar.
• bake 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.