This page has moved to a new address.

Cakes, Cookies, Caramel Corn, OH MY!

the urban baker: Cakes, Cookies, Caramel Corn, OH MY!

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cakes, Cookies, Caramel Corn, OH MY!

It's the end of another school year.  Next year my kids will be a year older, I will be a year older and life goes on.
This year is no different than any other year, I over did it.  I baked and baked and baked until I couldn't stand any longer, thus, indulged in an hour and half massage.  The weeks will go on and in time I will forget about how tight my shoulders are and how swollen my feet were.  Next, year at this time, I will forget all about the aches and pains and do it all over again!

I bought these great baking pans at Bed Bath & Beyond.  This year, rather than packing in boxes, I wrapped everything up in exactly what I baked in.  The presentation, if I do say so myself, was lovely.

Cherry Almond Bars
adapted from rustic fruit desserts
yield 12 bars

ingredients
fruit filling
3 cups (18 oz ) cherries
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbls. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. fine salt
zest and juice of one lemon

crust and topping
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 tsp. fine salt
3/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

instructions:
• preheat oven to 350*.  butter a 9" square baking pan
 fruit filling: quarter cherries, put in saucepan with sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest, + lemon juice over medium high heat.  bring to a boil, boil for 1-2 minutes until thickened
• crust + topping: combine flour, brown sugar, almonds, + salt in the bowl of a food processor + pulse. add the butter until crumbly.  add the egg and vanilla and pulse until mixture comes together.
• press two-thirds of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, then pour in the cherry filling. press the remaining crust on top.
• bake 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown and bubbling.  cool for 1 hour before cutting.
• the bars will keep at room temperature for 4 days.



2 banana nut loaves
1 cherry almond bars (shown)
48 triple chocolate triangles
8 dozen milk chocolate cookies
4 pounds cashew-almond caramel corn

6 1/2 pounds flour
4 pounds butter
1 1/4 pound brown sugar
5 pounds sugar
2 pounds good chocolate
9 cups fruit
21 eggs
2 pounds nuts


was it worth it?  heck yeah!






Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home