This page has moved to a new address.

Cranberry Nut Bread

the urban baker: Cranberry Nut Bread

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cranberry Nut Bread


This time of year I am kind of like a squirrel. The only difference between me and a squirrel is that squirrels save up nuts for the winter, I buy bags and bags of cranberries. Each time I go to the market I buy another bag (or two) and throw it in my freezer. I am so fearful of that day when I no longer see those perfectly, rectangular bags of cranberries lining the produce department shelves.

You all know how much I love Cook's Illustrated Magazine. I was perusing the website and decided to do a search for "cranberries". I found the perfect Sunday morning activity; Cranberry-Nut Bread.

I knew this was going to be a good so I decided to double the recipe and make two. One for us to consume and the other I may just have to take to Levi's teacher's tomorrow morning.

Both Eli and myself highly recommend this delicious bread.

INGREDIENTS

1/3cup orange juice
1tablespoon grated orange zest from 1 large orange
2/3cup buttermilk
6tablespoons unsalted butter , melted, plus extra for greasing pan
1large egg , beaten lightly
2cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1cup granulated sugar
1teaspoon table salt
1teaspoon baking powder
1/4teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2cups cranberries (about 6 ounces), chopped coarse (see illustration below)
1/2cup toasted pecans , chopped coarse

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease bottom of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Stir together orange juice, zest, buttermilk, butter, and egg in small bowl. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Stir liquid ingredients into dry with rubber spatula until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not overmix.

  2. 2. Scrape batter into loaf pan and spread with rubber spatula into corners of pan. Bake 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool at least 1 hour before serving.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate. said...

Cook's Illustrated loves adding buttermilk to recipes, don't they?? Sounds like a delicious bread.

November 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home