This page has moved to a new address.

Rugelah 101

the urban baker: Rugelah 101

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Rugelah 101


Monday is Yom Kippur and I am baking loads of stuff for my friends 100 person "break fast". This will be one of many desserts I am doing for her. Rugelah is a great treat for a crowd. For one thing, the recipe makes lots of cookies and two; they easily freeze prior to baking. I like to line them up on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them. Once frozen, I throw in a container or a zip loc and stick them in the freezer. When you are ready to make them, just pull them out, set them on your parchment lined cookie sheet, brush with egg wash or milk, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and bake.

I have been using an old family favorite recipe for years. I wanted to mix it up a little and try something new. I found a few recipes that use cream cheese in the dough (which mine does as well) so I decided to use one and I played with the ingredients just a little. I love Rose Levy Beranbaum. I decided to try her recipe from the Rose's Christmas Cookie book. I made the crust in advance, rolled it out and put in the fridge until I was ready to assemble.

I do like to create my own fillings. I made some with apricot preserves, currants & pecans. The other filling was raspberry preserves, mini chocolate chips and walnuts.

These are better than good. I have loved this book for 25 years!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lisa! said...

Dude- you are a baking machine! I need to borrow your cookbooks.

September 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home