Mini Lemon Bundts
Cooks Illustrated Magazines since my U.C. Berkeley days. I have 17 years worth of magazines to prove it as well as a splattering of miscellaneous issues from 1980 through 1992. The earlier issues have these really beautiful covers. They are all hand done water colors. I just can't get rid of them. They are as much a part of me as they are a part of my cook book library.
I have made this particular pound cake in the past and it never fails. Rather than making one big cake, I made little mini bundts. These were one of three desserts (pecan tassies, and mini cheesecakes) I made for last weekends fund raiser. They came out perfectly. They were light, moist, tart, and sweet. Isaac ate 6 of them. And asked for more.
3 lemons, zest grated + saved, then juiced
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs, room temp.
1 large egg yolk, room temp.
18 Tbls. unsalted butter, room temp.
2 cups sugar
2-3 Tbls. fresh lemon juice
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 Tbls. buttermilk
• preheat oven to 350*. spray mini bundt pans with spray.
• mince lemon zest to fine paste. combine lemon zest + lemon juice in small bowl; set aside to soften
• whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, + salt in a small bowl. combine lemon juice mixture, vanilla, + buttermilk in medium bowl. in another bowl whisk the eggs and the egg yolk. in a standing mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. reduce speed and add half the eggs, mixing until combined. add the other half of the eggs.
• add the 1/3 of the flour mixture and then 1/2 of the buttermilk and then repeat ending with the flour mixture
• scrape the side of the bowl and scoop into the mini bundt pans
• bake until the tops are golden, around 15 - 20 minutes.
• let cool 10 minutes and then invert it onto a plate.
• whisk the ingredients together
• while cake is still warm, pour half the glaze over the cakelettes. let cool one hour and pour the remaining glaze over the cakelettes. let sit for 2 hours.