This page has moved to a new address.

David Lebovitz's Chocolate Crack Cookies

the urban baker: David Lebovitz's Chocolate Crack Cookies

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

David Lebovitz's Chocolate Crack Cookies

I don't have an addictive personality, however I could become addicted to these.  "Crack" is the perfect descriptive for these cookies.  


The majority of the dry ingredient is ground almonds or almond meal ( like to buy a huge vat of ground almond meal at Surfas-makes life so much easier).  These cookies look heavy, but they are so incredibly light.  They did not sit in my stomach or give me a temporary sugar high.  


These cookies could take me to the other side -the other side meaning, using alternative flours and organic sugars.  I loved these so much that I took Heidi Swanson's book, Super Natural Cooking, with me to Whole Foods the other day.  I spent $95.00 dollars on all kinds of whole grain, organic flours and sugars.  I am gearing up to test a new and approved way of giving my kids sweets and treats.


I made the dough and let it rest in the fridge for 3 days.  When I went to roll them out, the dough was a little dense.  I broke my small ice cream scooper, scooping out the dough..  I would suggest letting the dough rest for a few hours rather than a few days.


Regardless, these cookies are going to be a cookie jar staple!


ingredients:
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 Tbls. unsalted butter
1 1/2 Tbls. liquor or strong coffee (I used espresso)
1 cup ground almonds (or almond meal)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for coating
powdered sugar for coating


directions:
• add chocolate, butter and liquor to a medium heat-proof bowl.  set over simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth.  remove from the heat.
• in a food processor, pulse the almond powder (I buy 2 lbs of ground almond meal at Surfas), flour, baking powder, and salt until finely ground.
• in a standing mixer, fitted with the whip attachment, whisk the eggs and the sugar on high speed, until the mixture forms a well defined ribbon.  Using a rubber spatula, mix in the melted chocolate mixture and then the almond mixture.  Chill dough until firm, about 2 hours.
• preheat oven to 325*.  line 2 baking sheets with parchment.  
• have a bowl of sugar and a bowl of powdered sugar ready.  shape dough into one inch balls.  roll in sugar and then powdered sugar.  set on baking sheet, spacing 1" apart.
• bake, rotating the pans midway, until firm (they will slide on the sheet).  it is very easy to burn chocolate cookies, so don't over bake!  
• let them cool and then transfer to a wire rack.

David says (from his book Ready for Dessert) these are best eaten the day they are baked, yet, I disagree.  These were still sitting around my house on day 3.  I popped one into my mouth and it was pretty darn good.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home