This page has moved to a new address.

Mexican Tea Tassies

the urban baker: Mexican Tea Tassies

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mexican Tea Tassies

Growing up my mom made these little pastries, called Mexican Tea Tassies.  I thought they were the most amazing little morsels of goodness one could ever eat.  They were usually made for special occasions or her "Pan Group".

When I started cooking on my own and discovered cooking magazines like Cooks Illustrated, Food and Wine, Gourmet, Bon Appetite, and Saveur, I was introduced to a world of options.  However, about 20 years ago, I found a similar recipe in Cooking Light Magaizne and I had to try it.  It wasn't nearly as good as my mom's original(dry, dull pastry and not sweet), so I stuck with hers.  Then, years later, I bought my first copy of Rose Levy Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie Book.  In that book, she had something similar.  Over the years I have combined my mom's and Rose's and have come up with my own.

This past weekend, I made desserts for 40 for a fund raising event. Along with these pecan tassies, I also made mini chocolate cheesecakes and mini lemon bundt cakes (posts to follow).  I had some pate brisee in the freezer and rather than making a fresh batch of dough, I used what I had on hand.  Usually, I make a cream cheese crust for these, which I have to say are somewhat hard to roll out.

After I delivered the goodies, I came home to three very curious boys.  They asked if the left over sweets, sitting on top of the kitchen counter, were for them.  How could I bake all morning and leave nothing behind?  Isaac rated these 999 out of a 1,000.  I will take that as a pretty good rating!

ingredients:
pastry dough 
use your favorite

pecan filling
1 egg
1/2 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 Tbls. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
dash of salt
3/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped

directions:
pastry
• spray muffin tins or mini tart pans with cooking spray.
• roll out pastry to 1/8" thick.  then use a round cookie cutter, slightly bigger than your muffin cup and cut out the shapes
• shape pastry in small muffin cups or small tart pans. I like to freeze these for an hour or so prior to baking.  Blind bake these for 8 minutes in a 350* oven.  Let cool.

pecan filling
• combine all ingredients, except for the nuts.
• divide nuts, evenly in each partially baked tart shell.
• fill each cup up 3/4 full.
• bake in a preheated 350* oven for 20 minutes.

let cool, then pop them out of the tart pans.  don't eat them all in one sitting

yield: 40 tartlettes

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

They look like flowers! So beautiful, Susan. And I'm a sucker for anything pecan.

May 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home