This page has moved to a new address.

Sugar Strike

the urban baker: Sugar Strike

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Sugar Strike



I think I am done with sugar for the time being. I am feeling the need for comfort food; soups, stews, and possibly, some homemade breads.

On this weeks menu, I plan on making:

• Sweet + Sour Cabbage Soup
• Puree of Vegetable Soup
• Turkey Meatloaf w/caramelized onions
• Farro Salad w/roasted asparagus + tofu

I also plan to eat alot of oatmeal, hard boiled eggs and raw veggies with Hummus. I am feeling somewhat toxic and I need to clean out.

I have a freezer full of stocks; turkey, chicken, and vegetable, which I have made over the past month. I find, when I use homemade stocks in most anything I make, the dish always tastes a little richer. After making my leek and goat cheese tarts last week, I found myself with a counter full of the green part of the leeks. I couldn't just toss them in my composter. I had to use them. I washed them and threw them in a pot with some carrots, celery, onions, garlic, potato peels, some herbs and some peppercorns. The smell was wonderful.

I roasted some asparagus and made a farro salad with asparagus, grilled tofu, nicoise olives, and peas with a simple Dijon vinaigrette.
I also made a triple batch of marinara. Storing up for the winter. It is perfect for those nights when you just can't bear to cook! Make a Caesar salad and you have the perfect meal.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home