This page has moved to a new address.

Happy Birthday Levi

the urban baker: Happy Birthday Levi

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Levi


Levi was looking forward to turning 4! We talked about it, a lot! For those of you who don't know me, I love to plan a party. I like to create the theme, design and print my invites (no E-vite for me), plan the menu, blah, blah. I started talking with Levi about his "party" in early November. I wanted to find out what he wanted for his first ever birthday party ( I don't believe in giving or going to parties prior to their 4th birthday - I feel, it is at 4 that they really start to "get it"). One day we were chatting and I asked him to tell me what friends he wanted to invite. He said, "Mommy, I only want to invite my friend Alex and my friend William and that's it". I threw out some additional names but he wanted nothing to do with it. I was joyful!

At that point I re-evaluated the whole party thing. The original plan was to have our family Hanukkah celebration on the 18th and then I was going to have everyone over, again, on the 20th for a party. I discussed with Levi and we came up with a new plan. Celebrate his birthday with the cousins in conjunction with Hanukkah and take William and Alex, on the 20th, to the Merry-Go-Round at the Pier and then go out for "rice and beans". Oh, and he wanted me to make cupcakes. That's it. I was even more joyful!

So, on his actual birthday (the 15th) I got him doughnuts for breakfast and then he and I headed out to Travel Town. Just he and I. We both loved every minute of it. He had all my attention and he was surrounded by trains! Now, he was joyful.

After our adventure, we came home and, together, baked his birthday cake. He was very specific on having yellow cake with chocolate frosting and he wanted marshmallows on top! He got his wish.


I had been looking for an excuse to use one of my new books, Rose's Heavenly Cakes by my gal, Rose Levy Beranbaum. I choose the White Velvet Cake with Milk Chocolate Ganache. It is the perfect cake. This will become my go to birthday cake. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this book. When Eli bit into this cake he said, "this cake is like a lap dance on my taste buds"!

Levi loved his day. I made his favorite dinner; tacos, rice, beans, and guacamole. We sang to him and he opened his presents. He was one happy four year old.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Brenda J. said...

Your boys are growing up so fast! They are so gorgeous! They are so lucky to have such a talented mother. Love your photos!

December 21, 2009 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really enjoyed seeing your pictures and reading your "blog". Happy Birthday Levi and many..many more.

Love from Barbara and Kenny

December 28, 2009 at 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this post so much!
x
gloria

January 7, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home