This page has moved to a new address.

Lemon Cake

the urban baker: Lemon Cake

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lemon Cake

Today was my friends birthday and she wanted nothing to do with it. She didn't want lunch, she wanted nothing. I had a ton of lemons on hand as today was the last day of a 10 day cleanse (no food for 10 days!). I woke up early and made two lemon pound cakes.

Today was kind of the perfect day. No kids. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids. Yet, when I can have a day all alone in my home, I am perfectly content. I don't even like to answer the phone on these very rare and special days. I become a hermit. I cook, I fiddle around on the computer, I finish a project, I embrace the quiet and solitude.

I decided to make my friend a "pseudo" birthday cake. I like the Barefoot Contessa lemon yogurt cake recipe because it is super light. Oil replaces butter and yogurt is added which gives this cake a lot of air. I like to use a greek yogurt. I had enough yogurt to make two cakes. One to wrap and give away and one for the family to devour.

The cake was still around over the weekend. So I decided to cut and slice it up and grill it on the bbq for dinner one night. This is really easy and can be done with any pound cake (even a store bought one). Brush each side of each slice with a little melted butter until the grill marks show. I made a quick blueberry sauce to serve along with it. Take your blueberry's, some sugar and a little bit of corn starch and bring to a boil (and the sugar has melted). The melted sugar will help liquefy the blueberries. Roasted fruit is also good on this or even a simple scoop of vanilla ice cream. Such a yummy combo!


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home