This page has moved to a new address.

Babka for Breakfast!

the urban baker: Babka for Breakfast!

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Babka for Breakfast!



I wanted to experiment more with my new fav book, The Modern Baker. He has tons of breads and quick breads and I guess I was in the mood to work with yeast. I decided to make the Chocolate Babka. I do not make much bread, but I want to master it. This was a good place to start.

You see, although bread seems daunting, it really isn't. What bread requires is a lot of time. But not the kind of time that makes you a slave to the kitchen. The ingredients get thrown into the kitchen aid mixer. You either use the paddle attachment or the dough hook. Once the dough forms a ball slap it onto a floured surface, lightly knead it and then put it in a well oiled bowl. Let it rise. Then you go through the steps of the recipe.

The babka called for 6 egg yolks. Therefore I had tons of egg whites left over. I also had some egg yolks left over from something else I baked this past week (can't remember what). Friday night I had made a big dinner and I had had some roasted potatoes left over. I thought a Spanish omelet for breakfast the next morning would a good solution in not wasting the left over potatoes. When I mentioned "Spanish omelet" to Eli, he became obsessed. I told him that Dad and I lived on them when we traveled through Spain (especially in the South on the beaches in Nerja), prior to him coming into our lives. I made it from memory. Memory worked. I served it with some salsa and everyone was happy.

Bread is fun. I want to make more. This was good, not perfect. I think not perfect because of me, not because of the recipe. Eli and Mitch liked it. Levi likes anything with sugar. Again, Isaac would have preferred a bag of french fries!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home