This page has moved to a new address.

Ice Cream - Mint Chip

the urban baker: Ice Cream - Mint Chip

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ice Cream - Mint Chip

This was Isaac's request as this is one of his favorite flavors.  He particularly likes the one at Baskin Robbins.  I grew up on Baskin Robbins and it was always Mint Chip!  He is definitely my son.  I like most things mint, except mint tea.  Isaac likes most things mint, except altoids!

I read the recipe in The Perfect Scoop butI found this recipe on the Martha website ( recipe here) and choose it for one reason and one reason only;  the recipe called for 8 egg yolks.  I am desperate to use up my egg yolks. This was one way to do it.

Ice cream is becoming as easy to make as a batch of cookies.  However, ice cream requires much more attention.  The warming of the milk, the whisking of the milk into the egg yolks, then the constant stirring of the custard so it doesn't curdle.  I need a nap just writing about it.  Yet, the end result is oh-so satisfying.

This recipe didn't call for chocolate chips, but I had a bag of mint flavored chocolate chips in my pantry.  They were more like discs.  I rough chopped them and added them to the ice cream after it "churned".  I was also thinking of adding some Girl Scout Mint Chip Cookies, crushed up, but when I grabbed the box, the box was empty.  So depressing.  However, I knew who the culprit was...Isaac, of course!  Such a tease, he could have tossed the box!

Regardless, it was good sans the cookie.

P.S.  I also added a few drops of peppermint flavoring to the base prior to pouring it into the ice cream maker.  Otherwise it would have tasted a little too rustic.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jodi-o said...

Where oh where does one fine mint chocolate UFO's??? Looks like a cool Trader Joe's item (which we regrettably don't have in Colorado).

April 11, 2010 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger The Urban Baker said...

Hi Jodi-o
Yes, Trader Joes, however I picked them up on a whim a while ago. I am not sure if they still have them in stock, yet if they do they are worth the purchase! Good Luck!

April 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ming Chip ice cream is my favorite too...It just an unbeatable flavor combination...Yours looks great!

April 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home