This page has moved to a new address.

Homemade Granola Bars

the urban baker: Homemade Granola Bars

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Homemade Granola Bars



My friend Karen thought it would be a good idea to have a group of mom's over to her house for brunch the day after school started. She figured it was best for us all to bitch and moan in one room rather than play telephone with one another. Actually, it was a good idea. It gave us perspective and we were all able to laugh at the mundane.

I was really on the fence as to whether or not I was going to be able to make it, however when I decided that I would pop by, it was 10:30 p.m. the night before. Which meant that I had to make something at the crack of dawn the next morning and it had to be quick and easy.

I had tried a few granola bars in the past, but they were basically...cake. I really want to try and get more healthy choices thrown into our daily snack binge and I felt this would be a good place to start.

I used the Ina Garten recipe as my base, yet switched it up a little. I added some ground flax seeds and used oil instead of the butter. I didn't have any dates, but I did have some dried figs which I kept kind of chunky. I love dried figs and these were a winner. I also substituted dried cherries (cuz I love them) for the cranberries.

I plan on making these again, yet, more with the kids in mind. I want to try various combos using chocolate chunks, white chocolate, whole almonds, peanuts (just cuz they like them), toffee pieces, other dried fruits and dried banana chips. I probably wont use all of these ingredients together, but I will find a combo that they like and then keep experimenting with those.

They were really good. I received a few emails and calls regarding these and I have a feeling we are going to be seeing our neighborhood kids eating lots and lots of homemade granola bars.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home