This page has moved to a new address.

MORE BAKING!

the urban baker: MORE BAKING!

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Monday, November 10, 2008

MORE BAKING!

I try to avoid reading the ingredients labels on the granola bars, but sometimes I just can't avoid it.  I want to give my kids healthy snacks in their lunch boxes (they don't eat half of what I pack anyway) and for some reason, I view a "granola bar" as healthy.  NOT SO!

I am kind of at a loss as to what to give them.  I have tried nuts, fruit (I don't even bother anymore-they don't eat it and it ends up in the composter.  Instead, I have a fruit plate waiting for them when they get home-they seem to eat that just fine!), baked chips, the dreaded sandwich and sometimes, a granola bar.  Most of the time the lunch box comes home just as I had packed it in the a.m.

So, I went on line and perused some of my favorite sites and looked for granola-type bar recipes.  Much to my surprise, there were virtually none.  I found one, but this is really more like a chocolate bar, rather than a granola bar.  My search continues.


ingredients

Chocolate Chip Apricot Bars
(epicurious.com)

Packed up and ready to go

I bake to relax.  I am not a lover of the basic chocolate chip cookie (not challenging enough), however I finally found one that is really, really good.  This is a Jacque Torres recipe and it loaded with lots of chocolate chunks.  I like to buy my chocolate at Surfas(surfas.com), actually, I like to buy EVERYTHING there!

ingredients

This batter is like a fine red wine.  The more it sits, the better it is.  I like to let the batter rest in the fridge for at least 24 hours, but you could let it go for as long as 3 days.
I shape the dough into little balls and then flash freeze them (lay on cookie sheet and put in the freezer for 2-3 hours).  Then I put the little balls in freezer bags.  That way, the kids can have hot, fresh cookies when ever they have that little craving (which is often).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home