This page has moved to a new address.

Bite Sized Ricotta Cheesecakes

the urban baker: Bite Sized Ricotta Cheesecakes

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bite Sized Ricotta Cheesecakes

I live in house of cheesecake lovers.  Big, small, bite-sized or sliced, it really doesn't matter.  Up until today, the household favorites have always been the raspberry ( or chocolate ) swirl cheesecakes (here) and the  mini mascarpone - chocolate cheesecakes (here).  However, today, we have added yet another version of a cheesecake to the top of the list.

I had saved this recipe from a back issue of donna hay magazine.  Yet, another recipe in my overflowing "file" of all things edible that I hope to accomplish in this life time!  I was reminded of it when I was reading Patricia's blog, Technicolor Kitchen, and of course, she beat me to it!  Hers looked perfectly perfect.

I wanted to give these a trial run for an upcoming dinner event I have next month. My three trustworthy taste testers gave them the thumbs up!  And, I am confident you will too!

Vanilla + Macadamia Crumble Mini Cheesecakes
adapted from donna hay magazine #17
yield 48 bite sized morsels of goodness

ingredients:
cheese cake
370g ricotta cheese
300g cream cheese
1 1/3 cups (267g) caster sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

base
125g shortbread cookies ( I used these )
1/2 cup (50g) almond meal
45g unsalted butter, melted

crumble topping
100g shortbread cookies
1/2 cup (70g) unsalted macadamia nuts
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbls. brown sugar, packed
50g unsalted butter, melted

instructions:
• preheat oven to 285*
for the base:
• in the bowl of a food processor, process the cookies ( I had some lemon scented sables in the freezer that I baked off, however any shortbread would work ) until crushed.  add the almond meal and the butter and process until combined.
• press 2 tsp. of the crumbs into mini silicone muffin tins. using a 1/8 cup measuring cup ( or a small bottle) flatten the crumbs into the bottom of the pans. refrigerate the crumbs until ready to use.
for the cream cheese filling:
• place the ricotta and the cream cheese in a food processor and process until smooth. add the sugar, eggs and the vanilla and process until combined and smooth.
• pour the mixture almost to the top of the baking cup.  set the silicone muffin pans on a baking sheet.
• bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until set.  rotating pans half way through.
 make the crumb mixture:
• while the cheesecakes are baking, place the cookies, macadamia nuts, vanilla, sugar, and the butter in the bowl of the food processor and process until roughly chopped.
• after baking the cheesecakes, top them with the crumb mixture and bake for another 10 minutes or until the tops are golden.
• cool completely to room temperature.
• once cooled, place trays in the freezer.  once frozen the cheesecakes pop out beautifully.  serve at room temperature!





Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Two fit and fun gals said...

these are too cute :O)

August 25, 2010 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

At my home too, there are cheesecakes lovers... This recipe would be a success! In small bites, it's lovely! I'll keep your recipe :)
Thanks!

August 25, 2010 at 6:48 AM  
Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

OMG, these mini cheesecakes look amazing!! I think many would have to be consumed in one sitting :)

August 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Jess @ Sugar High said...

I've never seen a cheesecake made with ricotta, sounds interesting! The vanilla and macadamia crumble sounds like a fantastic topping

August 25, 2010 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

These look darling AND delicious! And cheesecake is something I can modify to make low carb. Thanks for the inspiration!

August 25, 2010 at 7:39 AM  
Anonymous MyLastBite said...

Oh, these were so good. I don't even like sweets and I couldn't stop eating!

August 25, 2010 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

Susan, they are little gems! So pretty! I'm so glad you like these - I really like the idea of adding ricotta with the cream cheese.

Beautiful!

August 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are so delicious! I was able to steal one the other night!!! Yummy! I am going to make them myself soon!

August 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

What's so cool about bite sized desserts is the fact that you can eat a couple of them without feeling too guilty... I love cheese cakes and the version with ricotta is probably more delicate, yum!

August 25, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger ~Lisa~ said...

Oh I must try these! I love tiny cheesecakes! Ricotta and macadamia oh my!

August 26, 2010 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger M. said...

I am a cheesecake lover myself, and this recipe is just beautiful.

August 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger The Urban Baker said...

I loved reading all your comments. Keep them coming!

Betty - so cute, right?!

Victoria - small bites are dangerous but oh so delicious

Marla - you are so right!

Jess - I also added some toasted coconut! So good

Carolyn - yes, you can alter the crust to an almond flour crust. would be so good with an almond crumb topping!

Jo - I will fill your freezer with sweets and bring you to the other side!

Patricia - as always, you are my muse, my inspiration! xxx

Jackie - you need to come by once a week and raid the freezer!

Kim - bite sized anything is so good. especially cheesecake. perfect for our girlish figures!

Lisa - please try these and let me know how much you like them

M - from one cheesecake lover to another, bon appetite!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!
xx

August 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Tom Baker said...

Looks great but the size is so small I would most likely eat all of them at once. I LOVE cheesecake.

August 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Ingrid said...

I'm sold on any kind of cheesecake! :)

August 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home