Blueberry Mini Muffins
I have been purging my magazines; going through them, dividing my tear sheets into piles of various categories; design, photography inspiration, recipes to try, and graphics ideas. I came upon this recipe in a Bon Appetit from July 2006. I prepped the ingredients before going to bed and upon waking up this morning, I made about 38 mini muffins. These were so light, moist, not too sweet and a bit tart. Delicious!
Blueberry-Topped Lemon Muffins
adapted from Bon Appetit 2006
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
4 tsp. grated lemon peel
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 pints fresh blueberries
1/4 cup heavy cream
• preheat oven to 375*. line 38 mini muffin cups with paper liners
• mash 1/4 cup sugar and lemon peel in a small bowl.
• whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and blend.
• beat butter and 1 cup of sugar until smooth. beat in egg. beat in buttermilk, vanilla and half the lemon sugar. add the flour.
• using a small ice cream scooper, scoop into muffin cups. top each muffin with 3 blueberries. bake until lightly brown on top about 22 minutes. when out of the oven, brush tops with cream and sprinkle with remaining sugar.