This page has moved to a new address.

Banana Jam

the urban baker: Banana Jam

the urban baker

The Urban Baker is deliciously photographed blog about nourishing your family's soul through life in the kitchen. The recipes for fabulous savories and sweets are easily replicated and will inspire you.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Banana Jam

I think we are all a tad guilty of letting our bananas sit on the counter a bit too long causing them to over rippen.  I know, I am.  The natural solution is banana bread, banana muffins, after school smoothies. I wanted to try and mix it up a bit.

So, when I posted on Facebook a plea for your suggestions on what to do with over ripe bananas, I got some pretty good comments,  However, the best comment came from my friend, Lynne, who suggested a banana spread she had found in Cooking Light Magazine.  I went out to buy the magazine but the only thing on the newsstands was the holiday issue.  Lynne was sweet enough to forward me the recipe.

I don't even like bananas, I never eat them, and I NEVER eat my own banana bread.  Yet, this spread, I was eating out of the jar, with a spoon!  How good would this be on the chocolate-cherry bread from La Brea Bakery?  I can't stop thinking about it! I am going to make a ton of this come holiday time and include in my cookie crates!

Banana Spread
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
yield: 8 oz.

ingredients:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
zest of one lime
3 medium, over ripe bananas
2 Tbls. unsalted butter, room temperature
pinch of salt

instructions:
• put brown sugar, sugar, lime zest and lime juice in a small sauce pan.  bring to a boil.
• add the smashed bananas and reduce heat to medium low.
• cook, uncovered for 45 minutes, breaking up the bananas from time to time
• remove from heat and add the butter and a pinch of salt.  stir until butter melts.
• the mixture thickens as it cools.
• place in a ball jar and store in the fridge.

How great would this be at your next brunch, served with homemade biscuits or scones?!

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Amanda said...

How crazy is that? I LOVE bananas, so I am sure I would love this!

October 22, 2010 at 6:23 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I will have to try this jam, I always have brown bananas.

October 22, 2010 at 6:30 AM  
Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

This banana jam is fun! I would love it on a stack of pancakes :) xo

October 22, 2010 at 6:36 AM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

Seriously brilliant! I am always needing something to do with bananas!

October 22, 2010 at 6:40 AM  
Blogger Eliana said...

WOW - this would have never come to mind when thinking about what to do with left over bananas but what an amazing idea! I love it.

October 22, 2010 at 7:06 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh I love this! I have 6 bananas over ripened... I thought of banana bred, but now, I want to prepare this spread! Yummi!

October 22, 2010 at 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Brooke@foodwoolf said...

Well, you definitely sold me on the spread! I think you should swing by the La Brea Bakery website and submit this recipe!

October 22, 2010 at 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Lime and banana. Sounds so unique and lovely.

October 22, 2010 at 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Banana and lime juice. This sounds so unique and lovely.

October 22, 2010 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This looks so fab, I bet very tasty

October 22, 2010 at 7:44 AM  
Anonymous naomi said...

OMG! I love this banana spread. I would end up eating by the spoonfuls.

October 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I refuse to eat bananas just about as soon as they turn yellow (I like them super un-ripe) so there are always bananas around here that are too ripe for me. I'll have to try this!

October 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Brownieville Girl said...

I cannot thank you enough for bringing this wonderful recipe to my attention.

October 23, 2010 at 5:00 AM  
Blogger jocelyn said...

you've got me sold. i just happen to have VERY ripe bananas waiting to be made into something and buttermilk for scones. i am going to get right on it!!!

October 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you susan for bring inspiration and beautiful photographs of food into my household! i love reading the urban baker, daily! xo tammy ;)

October 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home